Knowing how to change a flat tire is one skill that all drivers should have. Follow the steps listed below to learn how.
- Move to a safe location. Find a spot that is flat and out of the way of traffic.
- Turn on your hazard lights.
- Activate your parking brake.
- Use wheel wedges. Put wheel wedges in front of or behind the tires to make sure your car doesn’t start rolling.
- Remove the hubcap or wheel cover.
- Loosen the lug nuts. Use the lug wrench and apply as much pressure as needed to break the resistance.
- Raise your vehicle with the jack. Put the jack along the flat spot on your vehicle’s frame next to the flat tire and raise your car until the tire is about six inches off the ground.
- Remove the lug nuts and tire.
- Mount the spare tire on the bolts.
- Tighten the lug nuts by hand.
- Lower your vehicle and tighten the lug nuts again. Slowly lower your vehicle until the tire just touches the ground and tighten the lug nuts as much as your car with the wrench.
- Completely lower the vehicle and tighten the lug nuts again.
- Replace the hubcap and put away all of your equipment.
If you need a new set of tires after suffering a flat, we offer competitive pricing here at Muller Toyota.